Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Isn't that just typical

OK, so for the first time, I've decided that at the parents evening, I'll be totally ICT based (which as an ICT teacher isn't too bad really, lead from the front and all that).

So isn't it Sods Law (as one parent put it) that ICT decides to fail me on the night.

The plan was oh so simple. All the report where on the laptop, and the kids work was on a VLE (virtual learning environment for those who have a life and don't live online). The idea, I bring up the student report, and then access the kids area of the VLE so the parents can (a) see the VLE working, and (b) see the work that their child has done.

So, the reports, nice and easy. They were on the laptop, and easy to bring up. The VLE, well the school's wireless just about extended into the canteen where I was based, so that was fine. However for some reason I could only access the VLE front page and not any of the kids works. All my plans lay in tatters.

To be fair the parents were fine, and in the end, there were probably quite a few students showing their parents how it all works when they got home. (That was my suggestion anyway).

If you look at it this way, it will turn into a nice learning experience for both pupil and parent. In some respects I've managed to set a homework without either party realising it!

So, not a total disaster after all.

Chris

No comments: