Sunday, March 16, 2008

Hong Kong - Day 2 Not Much Room (Saturday)

It's not often that I wake up on a plane. To be fair, most of us can probably that statement, but I'm not really commenting on my previous lack of long distance flights. Its more a case that I've never really been able sleep well in transit. It does have its advantages. Falling asleep at the wheel isn't something that I've found myself doing. Sadly today its not been an advantage. While I may be waking up, its more from a catnap rather than a sleep. An hour and a half at most. As I stir, I stretch and forget how little room I have width ways and my new set of headphones, hours out of the box, snap at the jack, leaving the jack in the socket and the cable dangling limply on the floor. This was not the start to the day that I was looking for. At least I was heading for the right place to get replacements.

Time on the plane passed slowly. Twelve hours is a long time especially when your options for amusement or distraction are limited. I'm going to have to look at changing that before I head home. Eventually a warm breakfast arrived. This was a welcome distraction. The omelette wasn't the best to be fair, but it wasn't the big issue. I'm all for ensuring food is properly heated, but that shouldn't include the milk, butter, and fruitsalad. Of course by the time I've discovered this the crew have moved on. Never mind, I need to shed a few pounds. The coffee would have been welcome, just not with a greasy film on top from the turned milk.

With about 30 mins left of the flight the cockpit camera came back on. What was clear from the start was that the view was anything but clear. Coming into land the runway was invisible until the last few hundred meters. That said, the captain put the plane on the ground very smoothly. The planes taxi to the airport seemed to take forever. Maybe its because I was watching it. I'm definitely thinking of changing the phrase from 'A watched pot never boils' to 'Watching your planes taxi is unending'. I think it may catch on.

Unsurprisingly there was no one there when I arrived. This I was ready for, I knew what to do. The airport express was going to be quicker anyway. The signposts were clear and I was shortly using my best rehearsed English to ask for the train ticket I needed for my stay. My timing couldn't have been better. I'd get my ticket and the train would arrive a couple of minutes later. Its only fair to point out that the trains arrive every twelve minutes, so there is never an excessive wait, but I was still impressed with the timing. After the hassles of the flight, things were looking up. And then my perfect timing went out the window with the discovery that I could not pay for my ticket with a credit card. This dealt a mortal blow to my swift transfer. I hadn't yet taken out any Hong Kong dollars. I was planning on doing that once settled and 'charging' my travel. And no there was not a cash machine nearby. Back to the main airport concourse was my first journey. Now maybe I've just been unlucky with where I've looked, but I've yet to find anywhere to pay for my travel around Hong Kong other than in cash. (In reality you pay to top up a travel card, but it still has to be cash). This has surprised me as I thought that Hong Kong would have an option for all transactions to be electronic. Maybe I've been unlucky and will spot the chance later in the week. Cash in hand I exchange some of it for my Octopus card and wait patiently for the train.

I'd decided that I was going to film the train journey. I'm sure if it had been a sunny day it would have all looked inspiring. Being foggy and dull I expect that I have a very grey opening. There definitely seemed to be more concrete blocks out of the side I chose to sit.

From the train station in Kowloon I decided to walk to the hotel. Having been sat down for twelve hours, stretching the legs was going to be good for me. However this walk did tell me what Hong Kong was about. The reason! Well its probably going to sound silly but its road crossings. Hong Kong, like some other cities, is described as being constantly on the go and the road crossings for pedestrians sums this up. Every road crossing emits a sound (sadly not unlike that of a drill). When its time to cross it speeds up and when its slow its to say don't cross. Thinking about it, there is sense there as it warns people that they are at a crossing. I'm just not used to it yet and the constant sound of drills isn't ideal. I guess that's why everyone else is wearing an mp3 player. Still being minus one set of headphones I don't have the 'blockout' capability. The hotel was easily found and pleasingly they take money off my bill for having not picked me up. More than it cost to get from the airport, so that's good. The room is functional. I'm only sleeping in it so I don't need much. No long soaks in the bath tub though, given its barely a meter long.

Once unpacked I'm off exploring. Nothing too much, it has, after all been a long couple of days. A stroll to the harbour for night views of Hong Kong will do me just right. The night skyline is stunning at first view. It is a neon display for what must be over a mile. In these days of watching our carbon footprint such displays should probably be frowned upon, but I have to say there is a sense of wonder an amazement, especially when seeing it for the first time. This sense is then enhanced at 8pm every evening (probably much to the eco-warriors disgust) in a lightshow spread over several buildings, on both sides of the harbour. How they have set up the lights to trigger remotely, in time, over such a wide area is part of the magic of the show. They also have music blaring out and the whole thing is reminiscent of the Disney light parade, just with buildings instead of characters. Right next to what for most would be the preferred viewing area for the lightshow is Hong Kong's own walk of fame. Its called 'The Avenue Of Stars' though its more a promenade built out into the harbour. The Asian film industry is probably second only to Hollywood, certainly in terms of its rich history. Sadly I'm not a buff. I could only recognise about 4 names and was left feeling rather ignorant.

As you might almost expect in a place dedicated to current and past stars, there are a mixture of performers entertaining the crowds with both traditional and western songs. Whether it is considered to be a spot where people get scouted I don't know. I suppose it is possible that you get the right sort of people around, especially when someone is having their hands cemented.

On the way back to the hotel I decided to divert via the Temple Street night market. It was far longer than I had imagined and sold just about anything you could want. Clothing and watches that were branded were fakes but very difficult to spot as such. There were interesting other items. Board games and dominoes were regulars at stalls as well as a lot of oil paintings all of the same scene.

All in all I'd been up a lot over the previous 48 hours and I could feel it starting to take its toll. The bed was calling and I knew I would sleep well.

No comments: